Academy Member Inducted 2023
One America Plaza, Suite 500
600 West Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101
Fax: (619) 566-4034
Regularly travels out of state to: Colorado, Nevada, Oregon, WashingtonOther ADR Services: Discovery Referee, Early Neutral Evaluation, Fact Finding, Insurance Umpire, Med-Arb, Mini-Trial Judge, Special Master
- Practice Commenced1970
- # of MEDS (as of 5/6/23)150
- # of ARBS (as of 5/6/23)300
Online / In-Person
- LOS ANGELES/ORANGE COUNTY
- SAN DIEGO
- SAN FRANCISCO-OAKLAND
- SAN JOSE-SANTA CLARA
- SAN LUIS OBISPO
- SANTA CRUZ
- SANTA MARIA/SANTA BARBAR
- SANTA ROSA
Mitchell L. (Mitch) Lathrop has been licenced as a lawyer for over 50 years. He currently maintains licenses in California, New York and the District of Columbia. In addition to being a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, he is a Chartered Arbitrator; a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (U.K.); a National Panel Arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association; an International Panel Arbitrator for the International Centre for Dispute Resolution; and a Distinguished Neutral of the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (“CPR”). He also serves as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (“FINRA”), the London Court of International Arbitration (“LCIA”), and the Japan Commercial Arbitration Association.
Mitch has served as a mediator, sole arbitrator, party arbitrator or counsel in over 400 mediations and arbitrations in the United States and abroad over the past 45+ years, including commercial, consumer and “representative cases” in mass arbitrations. Due to the confidential nature of mediations and arbitral proceedings, further information cannot be provided except as required by disclosure rules of the particular jurisdiction or by the mediation/arbitral provider in a specific proceeding; however, certain FINRA awards in arbitrations in which Mitch has served are available at: https://www.finra.org/arbitration-mediation/arbitration-awards-online?aao_radios=all&field_case_id_text=&search=Mitchell%20Lee%20Lathrop&field_forum_tax=All&field_special_case_type_tax=All&field_core_official_dt%5Bmin%5D=2010-01-01&field_core_official_dt%5Bmax%5D=2021-01-01
- ADA Disability
- Arts (Fine/Performing)
- Banking & Finance
- Civil Rights
- Class Actions
- Consumer Fraud
- Contract Disputes
- Eminent Domain
- Legal Malpractice
- Libel & Slander
- Medical Malpractice
- Natural Disasters
- Non-profit Organizations
- Product Liability
- Professional Fees
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Professional Negligence
- Property Damage
- Public Policy
- Real Estate
- Title Disputes
- Unfair Competition
- Wrongful Death
- Preparatory education at The Thacher School, Ojai, California.
- B.Sc. in Engineering, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Maryland.
- J.D., University of Southern California Law School.
- Securities Law, University of Southern California Law School.
- Environmental Engineering, Industrial Waste Conference, Purdue University, 1988, 1989.
- Insurance & Reinsurance Arbitration, ARIAS-US, annual courses since 1997.
- International Commercial Arbitration, Paris, 2005.
- Diplomate in International Arbitration Law, College of Law of England and Wales.
- Certificate in Advanced Mediation, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law.
- Advanced mediation training, International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (“CPR”).
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- American Bar Association
- San Diego County Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Judge Advocates Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution (CPR)
- London Court of International Arbitration
- The Institute for Transnational Arbitration
- Japan Commercial Arbitration Association
- Association Internationale de Droit des Assurances (AIDA)
- AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-US)
- Association Suisse de l’Arbitrage
An hourly rate is charged for all work. My current hourly rate is $700.00. Travel time is charged at 50% of the regular hourly rate. Out-of-pocket charges are charged at actual cost. Automobile mileage is charged at $0.70 per mile.